Thursday, April 19, 2012

New Birdie finally gets a home

For my birthday this year in January my parents gave me a Birdie. For all those not familiar with them this is a self assemble (luckily they'd already put it together for me) raised corrugated colourbond garden bed. The one they've given me is the same size as the ones they have been using with really great success, about a metre squared.
At the time I had no idea where I would like to put it in my garden plans so I just put it to one side, and ended up using it like a temporary compost bin until I could decide where it would live more permanently. Since then it has had all sorts of garden debris added, the occasional kitchen scraps, and even an "in the garden" worm farm (although no worms yet). The compost has broken down so quickly and I've overfilled it several times now.

Yesterday, after a fairly rainy week it was down to about two thirds in height again, and with the rest of the garden a little out of control, I decided to use it to plant out my the tumeric and extra ginger plants I'd struck into small pots over the last few months as they were starting to put down roots into the ground below the pots, and if I'm going to get any real harvest from them, I've only got a few months left at best.

My collection of garlic, tumeric and ginger I've managed to strike.

 So I topped the garden up all the way with a mixture of potting mix, composted manure and the leftovers from my abandoned worm garden and planted away.
I also popped in a couple of Pepino's I'd bought recently. Previously I had Pepino's growing in the front yard, but although they got a couple of fruit, they weren't very successful there (much drier area, lots of eucalytus leaves from big eucalypt overhead) and all but one have died back. I have to confess here, these new Pepino's came from a moment of weakness, when I also bought a punnet of coriander, two punnets of beans and a couple of comfrey plants which had now been sitting on the back verandah for two weeks.
In a last desperate act before sundown, I've also added the coriander to the new garden in the corners and a few of the bean plants (not the climbing type). The rest of the beans went into the top garden where the snake bean is now on it's last, but I didn't want to rip out it's climbing frame yet as the choko vine has taken it over. It may be important to note here that the beans may not make it, when I said desparate before I didn't mention the driving incentive came from the fact that my chickens had eaten every bit of leaf off them while sunning themselves on the deck! Not to worry, we'll still give them a go.
And the comfrey, well it's still sitting there waiting for my next day off. I have plans for another banana garden area...

One of the many chokos growing. The vines have taken over everything!

The bean eating culprits, not looking remorseful at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment