Thursday, June 16, 2011

This is on my mind...


When it came to joining Rhonda's (from Down to Earth, you can see the link on my side bar) weekly Friday "This is on my mind..." photo image this week, this was the one thing that stood out. I'm off for the weekend and I need to do something with it...
We were given this wonderful gourd by our neighbours when we took them one of our pumpkins (doing the neighbourly thing). I was very excited and couldn't wait to cut it open and get the seeds, I had visions of giant gourds hanging from vine that has ascended overhead trees. But what do I actually do with it???? I believe they are edible, but I've never encountered one before, and I have no idea how to cook it. If anyone has some information to share, I'd really appreciate it. I'd hate to see this giant go to waste.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never cooked one like that either. I think it's called a snake gourd. If it's hard inside, I'd cook it like pumpkin, but someone might come along who has actually eaten one before and they'll have some suggestions for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen anything like it and am hoping that someone comes along with some insight for you on how to prepare it. I've not grown gourds - keep "trying" but my seeds just don't germinate. I'll check back later to see if someone else can help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a giant snake bean to me. I would slice a bit off and let the creative juices run wild. It's not like there's not enough to work with. I'd roast some with some garlic and olive oil. Will be keen to see how this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow! It looks like something from "Dune!" I'll be interested to know what you do with it after all. Nothing like that here in the U.S. I don't think...well maybe in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stumped but it will be interesting to see what it is and how you cook it.

    ReplyDelete