Saturday, June 18, 2011

Joan Grimes

I’m off to collect some new art I purchased recently. The artist is Joan Grimes. My mum introduced me to her a year ago. Joan had done a showing at her home that day and Mum had gone along. Mum was so impressed she asked if she could bring me back when I got home from work. To cut a long story short, I’m addicted. A fortnight ago was her annual showing again and I am about to be the proud owner of more of her work. I love the freedom of her artwork and the wonderful colours. Joan is a wonderful, warm and welcoming lady and her art reflects this.With her permission (I respectfully request that the following images aren't reproduced without the express permission of the artist), I’ve pictured the pieces I’ve bought so far…


This one is called “Tropical Angels”. I loved the fluid lines and the serenity of them. Who would have ever dreamed of angels that looked so curvy?



This one is called “Girl feeding Ibis”. Joan saw a girl down on the beach feeding the Ibis. I love the way she has given such grace to such ungainly and to me previously ugly birds. I see them so differently now.



This one is called Goddess in the Garden. Joan tells me that she couldn’t help it, but it started to look like me, especially the curves. I’m not so sure, but my husband thinks I’ve never looked better.



This one is called “Shoo Birdie Shoo” and Joan was inspired to paint it by a friends grandchildren, twins who chase the birds from their favourite tomato bushes. I loved this one the moment I saw it on the cover of her invitation and just had to have it.


Joan is a prolific artist, and I love that when you talk to her about her art there’s no “technique” waffle, instead it’s the moment of inspiration she talks of, and as she tells you her eyes sparkle. You can see that she is just bursting to get each “moment” captured and that gives you a personal connection to her work.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work, how lucky are you to have so many? Where are you going to put them? But hang on, that's going to be half the fun, finding that perfect place and then to stand and reflect on the perfectness of each piece of work. I love the colour, Joan is very talented. does she have a website? There's going to be so much joy in your little blue shack.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Cheers
    Chris

    ReplyDelete