Thursday, March 24, 2011

This is on my mind...

Success... looks like this today!
It may not excite some of you, but if you've read some of my previous posts you would know this has been a much anticipated event! After hand pollinating at every opportunity I will have home grown pumpkins for my winter soups and roasts. It doesn't get better than that!
It was a puzzle for me at first that I wasn't having any luck with my pumpkins this year. I'd grown them from seeds given to me from a pumpkin bought last Halloween. At first I had begun to think that maybe they'd been bred to be infertile (or something suspicious like that), but it was just a lack of bee activity as my hand pollination has now proved.
And now I wait as they grow and mature, along with all the neighbours who have been watching the progression of my vines on the footpath. I guess it might need to be a communal soup day when it comes!

6 comments:

  1. It sure looks like a watermelon to me but then it's been years since I've seen pumpkins growing from start to finish and I've got my fingers crossed for you as we are winter squash lovers ourselves. A winter squash or pumpkin has such a deep rich flavor that a summer squash just can't compete with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand about getting excited. Yesterday we picked our first and so far only strawberry. It was great fun trying to divide it equally in to three parts so we could all enjoy. Best of luck with your pumpkins!
    http://watchingovertheheartandhome.blogspot.com/2011/03/on-my-mind-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky, you're right,if I hadn't planted them from start myself I would have been convinced it was a watermelon!
    Congratulations on your first strawberry Patti Bee, may it be the first of many! It's such a pleasure to be able to "snack" as you wander the garden.
    Thank you both for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Princessscarecrow Congratulations it looks wonderful and I am sure when it comes time to make that soup it will be delicious. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a big one whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I often have to self pollinate too.

    ReplyDelete